Sunday, November 22, 2009

Shepherds' Pie. Easy!

So, I went grocery shopping today which automatically puts me in a good mood.
I decided to make some meals that could freeze easily, just in case I get the job I want (FINGERS CROSSED!)

I have made Shepherd's Pie before, but I adjusted it a bit to make it taste, I have to say, pretty good.
This recipe makes 4-6 servings (depending on how hungry you are) for around $8.00 for all ingredients.
It's easy for anyone to make, pretty cheap, and very tasty. It takes about 30 minutes to make.



Shepherds' Pie Recipe

1 package of defrosted lean/extra lean ground beef
1 can of peas
Shredded marble cheese
3 skinned potatoes
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp of butter (optional)
Pinch of paprika for top (optional)

Directions:
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Skin potatoes and cut into cubes. Put them in a pot and boil for about 20 minutes until soft
- While potatoes are cooking, cook ground beef in a pan on the stove
- Once beef is cooked, drain fat and put in a stove-safe pan (6inx6in) and top the beef with the peas
- While potatoes are cooking, shred marble cheese (amount up to you) on top of the peas (NOTE: do not place directly) on top of beef)
- Once potatoes are done, drain potatoes and mash
- Add butter and milk (don't worry if you put too much) and a finely chopped clove of garlic to potatoes
- Smoothly layer potatoes on top of cheese
- Sprinkle paprika on top for presentation and color
- Place final product in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until potatoes are crisp, not soft.
-VOILA!
- Make a small salad on the side to balance meal

Once it cools, it can be frozen easily. Just put in containers and defrosting is easy :)

I am also making chili as we speak, so I will update you on that if it turns out well.
Good eats.